... and GRUB...

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Nov 19 05:22:28 CET 2013

On 11/17/2013 10:45 PM, Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 02:52:08 +0000
> "Wolf, Robert (ext)" <Robert.Wolf at sydac.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Yes, why LILO but not GRUB?
>> Is LILO more Linux friendly than GRUB?
>
> Probably you could sum up all your questions in one mail, instead of in
> four? Actually, you can decide between grub and linux, depending on the
> architecture (i386/x86_64) you choose. We might have grub2 on the newer
> iso's (I'm not sure). I don't know if Lilo is more linux-friendly than
> grub - I prefer lilo because it's easier to configure than grub (let's
> not even talk about grub2 with those millions of lines of code and
> millions of files... but hey.. personal taste, isn't it?)

I strongly prefer gummiboot (for UEFI systems) and extlinux (written by
the x86 maintainer and a colleague of mine) myself, neither grub, grub2
or lilo are fun to work with:

- lilo is badly maintained, no new features
- grub is a patch blanket
- grub2 is a disaster

both extlinux and gummiboot excel in their simplicity, and match in
features.

Cheers,

Auke