Lunar + Mint

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 5 01:07:27 CEST 2010

On Sunday, July 04, 2010 6:06:59 pm Marek Paśnikowski wrote:
> W dniu 04.07.2010 20:31, Duncan Gibson pisze:
> > but that further updates would involve compiling from sources.
>
> No. I'll try to show my idea in steps:
> 1. You download a special CD/DVD from website, which contains only
> installer and environment specific sources.

The Lunar ISO already fits that description. It contains just about the bare
minimum to boot and install the essentials to compile from source.

> 2. Boot from the CD. Installation environment would be similar to
> Debian's one.

If I am interpreting that correctly; you are suggesting Lunar adopt Debian's
methodology?

> No LiveCD typical desktop would appear, as no pre compiled
> packages are available on the disc - only minimal system required to run
> the installer.

I think about the only pre-compiled package on the Lunar ISO is a kernel.

> Why Mint? Mint developers are preparing new distribution frame. They are
> ready to experiment with new installation systems.

Shouldn't you be talking to the Mint devs about your ideas?

> I see this as a wonderful opportunity to show them the Lunar technology.

I take it you are not a Mint dev.

> Then they (Mint devs) could themselves dabble with Lunar applications
> manager.

Lunar is GPL, they are free to dabble with it all they like.

> Will picture attachments come through the mailing list system?

Not really.

--
Dennis Veatch