notebook with lunar?

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Mar 5 16:50:25 CET 2008

Tuesday 04 of March 2008 23:03:30 Kok, Auke wrote:
> Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> > It looks @sofar advertised Intel so I have to backup the opposite side :)
>
> (1) DISCLAIMER: I work for intel (so I'm horribly partial)

Cool. Do you have underwear in blue hearts pattern? :-D

> (2) intel has OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS for all components of modern laptops

I have no Intel parts but my AMD desktop is also full open source. The only
exception is nvidia binary for GPU. But I could use open nv driver instead.

> closed source driver, may give issues if you even change the kernel
> version. Intel has open source 3d rendering drivers for their all their gfx
> chipsets - merged in xorg/kernel where needed.

This is FUD. I was one of the first (2nd one) persons on nvnews.net who was
brave enough to patch binary nforce blob and publish the patch to make it
working with up to date kernels for all Linux people (to show this is
possible). Nvidia said that the company is neutral on this legal matter so
now the blobs are patched by other too. Binary/semi-binary driver/app can be
patchable like open source one. Only more skills, time are needed to not only
do patch but also overcome license obstacles.

Nothing will stop the community from fixing soft on Linux. Bwahahaha (evil
laugh out loud here please) :-D

> > GeForce 8600M GS supported in Lunar. Use the NVIDIA or NVIDIA-beta
> > module.
>
> lunar does not support ANYTHING. please be careful what you say!
>
> lunar only *provides* you packages.

... which provide support for hardware. I usually maintain nvidia modules so
why not telling people that their hardware will work?

> >> 802.11b/g WLAN (Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter)
> >
> > Do not know.
>
> intel wireless now has a completely open source driver which is available
> in 2.6.24.

Wunderbar. If I find Intel users I will tell'em. One point plus for you -
atheros works only via ndis wrapper. :-(

> cheers
>
> </end blatant advertisement :) >

No offence. I appreciate Intel involvement and leadership in open sourcing
driver but I do not run over users of other hardware saying that I use other
brands. That is why I help radeon users who would like to use fglrx however I
prefer geforce blob for its feature completeness.

cheers,
zbiggy