notebook with lunar?

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Mar 5 20:20:02 CET 2008

Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> Tuesday 04 of March 2008 23:03:30 Kok, Auke wrote:
>> closed source driver, may give issues if you even change the kernel
>> version. Intel has open source 3d rendering drivers for their all their gfx
>> chipsets - merged in xorg/kernel where needed.
>
> This is FUD. I was one of the first (2nd one) persons on nvnews.net who was
> brave enough to patch binary nforce blob and publish the patch to make it
> working with up to date kernels for all Linux people (to show this is
> possible). Nvidia said that the company is neutral on this legal matter so
> now the blobs are patched by other too.

well gee, of course they say that

They will never admit that they were wrong for legal reasons. Right now they have
no legal fears over getting sued over this because that would be too costly for
anyone and Linux developers do not want to alienate companies too much. We like to
slap them in the face around much with large (insert fresh water fish), which is
working a lot better than sueing them. and cheaper.

>>> GeForce 8600M GS supported in Lunar. Use the NVIDIA or NVIDIA-beta
>>> module.
>> lunar does not support ANYTHING. please be careful what you say!
>>
>> lunar only *provides* you packages.
>
> ... which provide support for hardware. I usually maintain nvidia modules so
> why not telling people that their hardware will work?

that's not the same as saying "GeForce 8600M GS supported in Lunar". It's all in
the wording. Consider these two phrases:

(a) "guns kill people"

or

(b) "people kill people with guns"

depending on your point of view (a) may be correct, but (b) is a *fact*. let's
stay with facts. I don't ever remember a gun picking up a bullet and pointing
itself without a human...

You're perfectly welcome to say "the nvidia 8800 will work under lunar-linux".

>>> Do not know.
>> intel wireless now has a completely open source driver which is available
>> in 2.6.24.
>
> Wunderbar. If I find Intel users I will tell'em. One point plus for you -
> atheros works only via ndis wrapper. :-(

you might be in luck as they're currently working hard to get this (completely
open source) driver up and running and merged in to the kernel.

unfortunately the vendor of that hardware is not providing any documentation to
the developers.

>> cheers
>>
>> </end blatant advertisement :) >
>
> No offence. I appreciate Intel involvement and leadership in open sourcing
> driver but I do not run over users of other hardware saying that I use other
> brands. That is why I help radeon users who would like to use fglrx however I
> prefer geforce blob for its feature completeness.

true, fglrx as a driver is much worse then the nvidia blob in many ways (needs
constant patching and does _not_ behave at all).

boy, I'd like to see the day that everything is just open source :)

Auke