notebook with lunar?

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Tue Mar 4 23:03:30 CET 2008

Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> Tuesday 04 of March 2008 11:45:01 Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
>> i have a little cute notebook, someone experienced problems with one of
>> the following things with lunar? (do i need additional drivers, is the
>> iso cd kernel supporting my devices, do i need to load special drivers
>> within the installer, if yes which one, etc) - Do i have to look at
>> something? I never used Linux on a notebook...
>
> It looks @sofar advertised Intel so I have to backup the opposite side :)

(1) DISCLAIMER: I work for intel (so I'm horribly partial)

(2) intel has OPEN SOURCE DRIVERS for all components of modern laptops

>> AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile TL-60 (2.0 Ghz, 2x 512kb l2 cache)
>
> AMD CPUs work perfectly with Lunar. On my Athlon64 3000+ thanks to C'n'Q
> during heavy tasks my CPU jumps from 1GHz to 1.80GHz. Thanks to ondemand
> govenor this is full automatic and temp. is 35*C. I also use k8-temp to read
> temp from CPU thermal diode. Also having 3dnow and sse3 together is cool:
> in MPlayer:
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> glxinfo:
> OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6150/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

closed source driver, may give issues if you even change the kernel version. Intel
has open source 3d rendering drivers for their all their gfx chipsets - merged in
xorg/kernel where needed.

> GeForce 8600M GS supported in Lunar. Use the NVIDIA or NVIDIA-beta module.

lunar does not support ANYTHING. please be careful what you say!

lunar only *provides* you packages.

>> 802.11b/g WLAN (Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter)
>
> Do not know.

intel wireless now has a completely open source driver which is available in 2.6.24.

cheers

</end blatant advertisement :) >