notebook with lunar?

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Mar 4 20:34:53 CET 2008

It looks @sofar advertised Intel so I have to backup the opposite side :)

> AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile TL-60 (2.0 Ghz, 2x 512kb l2 cache)

AMD CPUs work perfectly with Lunar. On my Athlon64 3000+ thanks to C'n'Q
during heavy tasks my CPU jumps from 1GHz to 1.80GHz. Thanks to ondemand
govenor this is full automatic and temp. is 35*C. I also use k8-temp to read
temp from CPU thermal diode. Also having 3dnow and sse3 together is cool:
in MPlayer:
glxinfo:
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 6150/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!

my favourite 'hardware' CFLAGS:
-march=athlon64 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse,387
(-march=athlon64 auto enables mmx, sse1/2, 3dnow so you only need to
add -msse3 which appeared since Venice core few years ago)

k8-temp is kernel module, govenors also are configurable in kernel - I choose
ondemand as default one. You can use cpufrequtils lunar module to control
govenors by hand.

I can send you my kernel config for AMD to take everything the factory gives.

My last Intel was Pentium75MHz. Then I used AMD Duron/AthlonXP/Athlon64. All
work great. The cool feature of AMD since AthlonXP/64 you can have both
3dnow/sse together and C'n'Q which makes CPU cold (my machine have 1 fan).

> Geforce 8600M GS 512 MB (up to 1280 MB Turbo Cache)

GeForce 8600M GS supported in Lunar. Use the NVIDIA or NVIDIA-beta module.
(NVIDIA is at 169.12 version with proprietary installer, NVIDIA-beta is at
171.05 with Lunar installer written by me. They do not differ very much:
169.12 is for home use, 171.05 is dedicated for Tesla superb render farms/GPU
scientific calculations - there is additional tool for GPU control). I use
169.12 which was released later.

activate vesafb console in kernel. Then add to kernel boot parameters:
vga=773 video=vesafb:mtrr:4,ywrap
(vga=773 is 1024x768x256 resolution which is perfect for me; you can pick up
other vesa mode). Do _not_ use nvidiafb in kernel because you will not boot
to X (open nvidiafb vs proprietary nvidia X driver conflict).

> 2 GB DDR2

Supported.

> 15.4"WXGA Acer Crystalbrite LCD (8ms/220-nit)

Supported via NVIDIA.

> 250 GB HDD (WD2500BEVS-22UST0 ATA Device)
> DVD-Super Multi DL (HL-DL-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device)

Chipset NVIDIA nForce 630M you have supports AHCI sata driver.
nForce630 use AHCI sata driver so using Nvidia sata driver which is for older
chipsets will not work.

> 802.11b/g WLAN (Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter)

Do not know.

> Realteak High definition Audio

HDA is integrated in nForce 630. Use alsa hda driver.
options snd-hda-intel model=acer

> and some special things:
> Acer Crystal Eye webcam

Do not know. Depends on v4l driver and cam chipset.

> Ricoh Memory stick controller
> ricoh sd/mmc host controller
> Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
> Alps pointing-device (this touchpad)
> HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

Do not know. Depends on controller chipset.

The only Lunar problems I had was SATA because of old ISO.
First it was SI3112 chipset when I said hello to Lunar for first time few
years ago and later Intel ESB2 chipset.

Ask @tchan on IRC - he is very kind and helpful with injecting new kernel
source to iso image. He helped me very much when I struggled with Intel ESB2
chipset a year ago. 99% of Lunar troubles can be solved by injecting current
kernel to ISO image (or by installing to IDE and moving content to SATA after
kernel update).

zbiggy