Module submission - boost-build

Ryan Hodge effingoose at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 01:39:48 CEST 2007

Hey,

> effingoose at hotmail.com wrote:
> > module name       : boost-build
> > suggested section : devel
> > update (y/n)      : n
> > bugfix (y/n)      : n
> > security (y/n)    : n
> >

> > Ryan Hodge
>
> what's it for?

Its part of the boost build system, used mostly instead of a make system. For some reason they have boost-jam which is the actual binary file used to run the system, and boost-build is like a utility library for it. Its not actually needed to build boost itself. My company recently started using it (I'm a software engineer), so I put it on my home computer to test it out.

> Auke

> PS: I think boost is the biggest abomination in existance, far outperforming WX
> when it comes to usability per byte. While WX actually manages to to do something
> correctly (I have a few applications that actually *work* with it), boost
> seems to occupy well over a gigabit of space on my disk and I still cannot get
> e.g. miro to build. If I could kill boost out of existance I would certainly
> attempt to do so. Both Wx and Boost-using projects are the *worst* ones out there.

Ouch :-) Fair enough though. I use boost for development, and it doesnt seem that bad to me, but I've never actually used any of the library that uses the libs, I mostly use parts of the library that are all header based. So luckily for me I've never had to link to it or build anything that does.

Ryan