Recent adobe flash plugin update warning: konqueror freezer, opera troubles

Stefan Wold ratler at lunar-linux.org
Wed Dec 5 07:14:18 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 01:30 +0100, Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> recently Adobe released official 9,0,115,0 flash plugin. Because this version
> uses GTK2 it only supports web browsers which use this toolkit for GUI
> rendering (Firefox and Seamonkey). Other non GTK2 web browsers are left
> unsupported. This can make troubles for Opera and Konqueror which use Qt
> toolkit. I do not know how situation looks with Opera but Konqueror 3.5.8
> fails totally - freezes and display this on text console:
> (Opera crash in the same way but do not know if it freezes or not)

Flash will just not work with opera 9.2X, but it won't freeze. Good news
though, our opera-beta and opera-static-beta have full support for the
new GTK2 based flash-plugin. But let me remind you it's still beta and
it's a little unstable with the plugins since they rewrote the whole
plugin engine for linux/unix. But I expect the comming weekly updates of
opera will be a lot more stable. I use opera-beta as my main browser
atm.

So for the moment I think it will confuse people if we add another
flash-plugin, people should put some pressure on konqueror to get a fix
out for this.
--
Sincerely
Stefan Wold