Recent adobe flash plugin update warning: konqueror freezer, opera troubles

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Dec 5 01:30:26 CET 2007

Hi all,

recently Adobe released official 9,0,115,0 flash plugin. Because this version
uses GTK2 it only supports web browsers which use this toolkit for GUI
rendering (Firefox and Seamonkey). Other non GTK2 web browsers are left
unsupported. This can make troubles for Opera and Konqueror which use Qt
toolkit. I do not know how situation looks with Opera but Konqueror 3.5.8
fails totally - freezes and display this on text console:
(Opera crash in the same way but do not know if it freezes or not)

(process:5733): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization
assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:5733): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion
`initialization_value != 0' failed

(process:5733): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_clipboard_get_for_display: assertion
`GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Adobe Flash Player: gtk_clipboard_get(GDK_SELECTION_PRIMARY); failed. Trying
to call gtk_init(0,0);

Due to binary nature of flash plugin nothing can be done. Konqueror and Opera
are going to be fixed in the future.

For now I found a way to restore dead Konqueror:
When Konqueror freezes due to flash content on web page open a window with
konsole/any other terminal and execute this:
killall nspluginviewer
(you _do_ _not_ have to be root to kill nspluginviewer) however sometimes when
this trick does not work use: killall -9 nspluginviewer
Konqueror will safely continue to work with removed flash content. :-)

Possible long term workaround:
1. Provide Lunar module with non GTK2 flash 9,0,48,0 which works with
Konqueror and Opera (AFAIR). This is WIP I only have to find a site with this
version of flash - Adobe replaced it everywhere with current 9,0,115,0
2. Use flash 9,0,48,0 system wide and use 9,0,115,0 only in home plugins
directories of FF/SM to protect Konqueror/Opera against flash crash.
3. Check opera-beta module because 9.50 version and later is going to have
support for new flash.
4. There is no fix for Konqueror now (I do not know any)

Flash 115 is woth keeping for FF/SM because it has cool features:
*better mpeg-4 support
*hw video acceleration by using GLX

The 9,0,48 flash can be moved to flash-plugin module because it is broken now
and nobody seems to use it (flash 7 is not downloadable anymore so we can
reuse this module for flash 9).

zbiggy