problems with instalation, wget don't download from lunar cache

Moritz Heiber moe at lunar-linux.org
Mon May 15 21:18:44 UTC 2006

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:29:19 -0700 (PDT)
Edd Budulea <e_timotei at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, in this weekend i've installed successfully lunar
> linux on my box which is a via c3 ezra based pc.
> first of all when i've went to download page, the only
> version that will work for me is lunar 1.5.1-i386 from
> torrent, after starting the torrent it will not find
> any peer to download (after 30 mins i've gave up).
> Only today i've notice a news that will point me to
> the iso on lunar site.

Yeah, older torrents are usually poorly seeded. We're not a very huge
distribution. But there are a lot of mirrors available providing enough
bandwidth for you to download the iso images from.

> I've solved it by bootstraping lunar with a slackware
> 9.:)
> Besides the lack of visibility of the i386 image on
> lunar site, i'd love a distribution build script or
> something (i'm planing to put lunar distribution on a
> zaurus, got a 2GB cf and the will to try).

You might wanna take a look at how we build ISOs. I don't know wether
it available as a tarball yet but you can at least surf svn for a
glimpse at them.

> Anyway the road was rocky:
> -first if you have a c3, edit so that pentiumpro (aka
> i686) will not use cmov (maybe if there are many of us
> using lunar on ezra this will be an option on gcc
> install) (if you use -march=c3 it will go like i486 +
> 3dnow + mmx, so is not so good)
> -second use -Os optimization (ezra has small cache)
> 3dnow and mmx. For me it has worked with
> reorder-blocks , expesive and tracer optimizations on
> all packages.
>     If you put -Wl,--as-needed some (3-4 out of ~240)
> packages will break because some makefiles will give
> the linker first the lib and then the object that use
> it (in gcc the request needs to be before the
> provider).

Risky optimizations are not supported. If you system breaks when you
turn off safe optimizations then you're on your own.

I didn't quite get the first part .. you're using a C3 processor and
are not satisfied with the optimization settings?

> A big problem was the fact that wget will not download
> any package from www.lunar-linux.org/lunar/cache, it
> will respond with 404, the same was for some of
> packages that were from sf.net, but other sites were
> ok. I've had to download the package from lunar/cache
> with lynx an then relin. I suspect that lunar has that
> setting for bots so that wget will not be able to
> teleport the site or some other protection that should
> be disable on the /lunar folder.

hum, well .. the cache is only ment for some packages. Basicly, a
fallback incase nothing is there upstream. You might get lucky and get
your sources from one of the lunar mirrors .. but most likely the
cache is going to give you a 404 because it doesn't have the package
itself.

Before you complain about missing packages though, make sure you set
your mirrors right using the lunar tool.

lunar -> Options -> Software Mirrors -> <select mirror>

> I'd like to add that it will be very nice if all
> packages on lunar cache will be on torrents i'll
> personally will keep seeding the cache, just a thought
> (i like torrents better than mirrors).

We have 2500+ packages with at least 2500+ source files. IMHO it would
be mental to have a torrent for each of them.

Regards,

Moritz