problems with instalation, wget don't download from lunar cache

Edd Budulea e_timotei at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 16:29:19 UTC 2006

Hi, in this weekend i've installed successfully lunar
linux on my box which is a via c3 ezra based pc.
first of all when i've went to download page, the only
version that will work for me is lunar 1.5.1-i386 from
torrent, after starting the torrent it will not find
any peer to download (after 30 mins i've gave up).
Only today i've notice a news that will point me to
the iso on lunar site.
I've solved it by bootstraping lunar with a slackware
9.:)
Besides the lack of visibility of the i386 image on
lunar site, i'd love a distribution build script or
something (i'm planing to put lunar distribution on a
zaurus, got a 2GB cf and the will to try).
Anyway the road was rocky:
-first if you have a c3, edit so that pentiumpro (aka
i686) will not use cmov (maybe if there are many of us
using lunar on ezra this will be an option on gcc
install) (if you use -march=c3 it will go like i486 +
3dnow + mmx, so is not so good)
-second use -Os optimization (ezra has small cache)
3dnow and mmx. For me it has worked with
reorder-blocks , expesive and tracer optimizations on
all packages.
    If you put -Wl,--as-needed some (3-4 out of ~240)
packages will break because some makefiles will give
the linker first the lib and then the object that use
it (in gcc the request needs to be before the
provider).
A big problem was the fact that wget will not download
any package from www.lunar-linux.org/lunar/cache, it
will respond with 404, the same was for some of
packages that were from sf.net, but other sites were
ok. I've had to download the package from lunar/cache
with lynx an then relin. I suspect that lunar has that
setting for bots so that wget will not be able to
teleport the site or some other protection that should
be disable on the /lunar folder.

I'd like to add that it will be very nice if all
packages on lunar cache will be on torrents i'll
personally will keep seeding the cache, just a thought
(i like torrents better than mirrors).

Beside all of that the process went well (2 days of
compilation) and gcc-3.4 goes much faster on i686(w/o
cmov) then i586 on ezra.

If there is any interest I'll post the packages that
have not compile on the first run.