[1.6.0 ISO][patch] charmap not defined when loading console font

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Apr 21 03:38:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:41:08 +0200, Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl> wrote:

>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:04:53 +0200, Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl>
>> what happens if /etc/charmap is missing? this patch doesn't solve that
>> problem
>>
>> Auke
>
> Good question.
> Will happen the same as with missing:
> /etc/consolefont
> /etc/LOCALE
> /etc/keymap

the scripts already test for presence of these, but you pass -m $(charmap) without checking if tha tfile even exists. and then the charmap is not set if the consolefont file is missing - not what you want. Perhaps this can be done in two separate commands?

> BTW: I  noticed that consolechars should be added also to /etc/profile
> because
> screen font settings are lost between sessions.

no, if it is lost then this is a bug, but the fix is _not_ to add the call to /etc/profile - you cannot change the consolefont in a terminal (actually you can, and it will not do what you expect it to do).

> How about merging font,language,charset selection in one window? Default
> settings could be filled in for every language to make installation
> easier.

no, they should be separate. An english user will only set the language, maybe the font, but never the charset.

Auke