[1.6.0 ISO][patch] charmap not defined when loading console font (update)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sat Apr 22 21:00:13 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:41:08 +0200, Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl>
wrote:
> >> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:04:53 +0200, Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl>
> >> what happens if /etc/charmap is missing? this patch doesn't solve that
> >> problem
> >>
> >> Auke
> >
> > Good question.
> > Will happen the same as with missing:
> > /etc/consolefont
> > /etc/LOCALE
> > /etc/keymap
>
> the scripts already test for presence of these, but you pass -m $(charmap)
> without checking if tha tfile even exists. and then the charmap is not set
> if the consolefont file is missing - not what you want. Perhaps this can be
> done in two separate commands?

I thought it checks for presence also in other parts of code. But found only
inline in bootmisc. Correct me if I'm wrong. Updated bootmisc.patch in
attachment.

> > BTW: I  noticed that consolechars should be added also to /etc/profile
> > because
> > screen font settings are lost between sessions.
>
> no, if it is lost then this is a bug, but the fix is _not_ to add the call
> to /etc/profile - you cannot change the consolefont in a terminal (actually
> you can, and it will not do what you expect it to do).

I've removed consolechars from /etc/profile. Now after logging in (any
account) there is semigraphics instead of Polish chars. Restoring
consolechars in /etc/profile brings back to normal console output.
You said about bug. Could you describe it? It looks people here are from West
countries so default ascii charset is enough for everybody except me. That is
why the charset bug was never before noticed.

> > How about merging font,language,charset selection in one window? Default
> > settings could be filled in for every language to make installation
> > easier.
>
> no, they should be separate. An english user will only set the language,
> maybe the font, but never the charset.

English user should set iso01 to keep up with ISO standards. However everybody
here seems happy with default ascii and thats OK. It should be up to user
what charset likes. I use iso02 in Lunar since beginning and never any
troubles appeared. 8bit input/output/parsing works great in _all_ bash
scripts and binary apps.

For purists who would like to keep with standard charset from linux kernel
there is cp437 which defines this classic, default charset.

> Auke

greetings,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski