[1.6.0 ISO][patch] charmap not defined when loading console font

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Fri Apr 21 00:41:08 UTC 2006

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:04:53 +0200, Zbigniew Luszpinski <zbiggy at o2.pl>
wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > When /etc/init.d/bootmisc script loads font file it forgets to set
> > correct charset for selected language. This bug is not visible for
> > English users only. Other users will not see non US characters on screen.
> >
> > This patch adds charmap loader to bootmisc script.
> > Create text file in /etc/ named charmap and fill it with your charmap
> > name.
> >  All available charmaps are stored in /usr/share/consoletrans
> > In charmap file write charmap file name without .acm.gz extension e.g.:
> > iso02.acm.gz file name should be written to /etc/charmap file as iso02
> >
> > Attachment list:
> > bootmisc.patch - adds charmap loader to bootmisc script
> > charmap - example charmap file which adds character mapping for Central
> > Europe
>
> nack again
>
> what happens if /etc/charmap is missing? this patch doesn't solve that
> problem
>
> Auke

Good question.
Will happen the same as with missing:
/etc/consolefont
/etc/LOCALE
/etc/keymap
because I used the same handling routine as is used for these files.
This patch is designed for new iso so the file will be created during install.
If you are interested in importing it modification of install script is
required - the charset selection window must be added after font and language
selection. The default charset could be set to iso01 which covers Western
Europe/USA charset.

BTW: I  noticed that consolechars should be added also to /etc/profile because
screen font settings are lost between sessions.

How about merging font,language,charset selection in one window? Default
settings could be filled in for every language to make installation easier.

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski