Module submission - udev

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Nov 29 00:32:16 UTC 2005

> speaking of udev - are there any guru's out there that can resolve some
> of the following problems?

Ain't guru but have some knowledge of udev. About which version you are
talking about? Udev from version to version sometimes rapid changes so
configuration for one can make troubles in next version.

> 1 - why are scsi discs no longer linked as /dev/discs/discN/disc ?

I use now udev-075 (+ patched rules) in lunar and have /dev/discs/disc0 I use
SATA disc which is placed in kernel in SCSI tree, the same WindowsXP (I mean
driver is listed in driver tree as scsi in winxp). So I assume my drive can
be called as a scsi 'device'. AFAIR lunar's is udev-068 and do not remember
how it lists drives.

> 2 - what other way can I use instead to list ALL discs (scsi, ata, usb,
> etc) consistently?

cat /proc/partitions
Mine looks like this (kernel 2.6.14.3, udev-075):

bash-3.00$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

   3     0   20071296 hda
   3     1    2048256 hda1
   3     2          1 hda2
   3     3    2064352 hda3
   3     5    5124703 hda5
   8     0   78150744 sda
   8     1   10241406 sda1
   8     2          1 sda2
   8     5   10241406 sda5
   8     6   12329856 sda6
   8     7   10241406 sda7
   8     8   10241406 sda8
   8     9   10241406 sda9
   8    10   14080941 sda10
   8    11     530113 sda11

You can strip numbers to have only discs listed by types.
hda - IDE disc a (a means 1st channel)
sda - SATA/SCSI disc a (a means 1st channel)
Other types of discs recognized by kernel >should< also appear here.

> 3 - how come ide-scsi emulated devices don't show up in /dev/scsi?

Because they are not real scsi drives.

> There is plenty more riddles out there regarding udev and disc device
> nodes - but these are my biggest problems up to now with the 1.6.0 iso.
> Help appreciated!

Flood mailist with these riddles and we will fight'em out!

> Auke

Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski