Module submission - udev

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Tue Nov 29 08:52:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:52:43PM -0800, Auke Kok wrote:
> speaking of udev - are there any guru's out there that can resolve some
> of the following problems?
>
> 1 - why are scsi discs no longer linked as /dev/discs/discN/disc ?
They should. IIRC, there is a script that creates symlinks so they show up like
this. Will have a look if it has been changed.

> 2 - what other way can I use instead to list ALL discs (scsi, ata, usb,
> etc) consistently?
Same as above. Though I understand it maybe easier to have them in the devfs
way for the iso, my personal preference is to have them separated as hda, sda,
and so on.

> 3 - how come ide-scsi emulated devices don't show up in /dev/scsi?
I used to have ide-scsi, and it was emulated fine, devices included. Though,
why use scsi emu ? Driver support perhaps?

I don't have scsi devices so I cannot test that anymore.

> There is plenty more riddles out there regarding udev and disc device
> nodes - but these are my biggest problems up to now with the 1.6.0 iso.
udev is going to suffer (it actually is suffering) quite big changes, so bumping
its version, depending on what kernel you are running, can be edgy. I'll be back
in while with more info.

> Help appreciated!
> Auke
Ciao,