Release version nunmbering explained

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Nov 18 19:50:04 UTC 2005

Good morning to you all again!

this morning I released the first 2.6-based iso based on the 1.5.x
build/installer code. subsequently people asked my why I numbered the ISO
1.6.x.

I decided to do this based on the fact that the 2.6 compat. code in the
iso build code is substantially changing the way that the build code
works, but not substantial enough to give it a whole new name or start at
1.0 all over again.

For simplicity, I have decided to designate 1.6.x as the "2-6-kernel
based branch" of the 1.5.x iso series.

As the 1.5.x series is built with the same ISO build code (the code that
does the actual work to compile everything on the ISO and puts it all
together), this means that future enhancements and fixes go into the same
codebase as 1.6.x (and vice-versa). This makes it possible to release
future 1.5.x versions based on the 2.4-kernel just as easy as well.

You can expect this to happen in the future. Undoubtably there will be a
point in time where there will be enough reason to release another
2.4-based ISO. This will be named 1.5.3. Any 2.6-based ISO will start
with the version number 1.6.x.

Allthough this is confusing to users, from my standpoint it does not make
sense to release any 2.6-based ISO as 1.5.x, nor does it make any more
sense to release future 2.4-based ISO's as 1.6.x either.

Just so you know ;^)

1.5.x - 2.4-based ISO's from current ISO build code
1.6.x - 2.6-based ISO's from current ISO build code

Auke