How often to update?

Florin Braescu florin at lunar-linux.org
Mon Nov 14 18:29:17 UTC 2005

Pe data de Lun 14 Noi 2005 09:30, Duncan Gibson a scris:
> Oops! I forgot to add the footnote, and I didn't mean to keep everyone
> in suspense, so here it is :-)
>
> [*] I know that Lunar isn't aimed at the "average user" but for lean
>     and mean servers and clusters maintained by experts. However, even
>     the three experts on #lunar at the time needed some discussion about
>     the 2.6.14.1 kernel, devfs and udev. Should I open this as a Forum
>     article so that one of the wise can elaborate for when other users
>     are searching? Or is this mailing list article sufficient?

  Well, IMHO you have a good point, as a new lunar user. My own experience was
very different. I was trying before Lunar many distros like Mandrake, Red
Hat, Debian, Slackware, Rock Linux and finally Lunar (approaching to the bare
simplicity of the Linux system) :). It was my choice for that as my
experience in Linux have grown with every distro i was changed. In Lunar i
have found heaven. Maximum flexibility, the possibility to inovate,
experiment and test new ideas and the latest packages and the maximum
simplicity in management and maintenance. I prefer that way most of all.

 I must say that every dev have a well configured and functional system with
Lunar. Nobody said to them how to do it. By trial and error, searching the
info on the Net and using the help of the Lunar team, we all succceeded to do
that. I must also say that Lunar is very much evolved right now than it was
two or three years ago. A lot of our experience is nailed in the Lunar
scripts. Sofar did a marvelous job on that.

The install system never was simpler and easier. However we are not creating a
new Gentoo. We have a similar way, in some respects, but there are many
better things in Lunar than in Gentoo. As i said it's only my opinion.

We will continue go the same way, and try to make the things easier for
newcommers. Your experience have shown to us the reached level on that, and i
can sai that it's a good level compared to the past. We invite every one of
the Lunar users to join the Lunar team and  help us to achieve a better Lunar
for all.

  Thank You for your attention

  Yours,

   Florin