How often to update?

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Nov 14 19:32:57 UTC 2005

> How often to update?

I everyday read lunar's main www page. On the right side there is 'Updated
Modules' column. If I see modules i like, do immediatly update. Otherwise do
update weekly, usualy on Sunday night. Weekly updates have advatange: few
updates. So you have better control if some modules make incompability
problem (like qt-3.3.5 and KDE). Such situation is very rare, lunar devs are
very careful, but happens 1 or 2 times a year. Thanks to such system I can
spot the bug fast and fix it or ask lunar people for help.

>   Well, IMHO you have a good point, as a new lunar user. My own experience
> was very different. I was trying before Lunar many distros like Mandrake,
> Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, Rock Linux and finally Lunar (approaching to
> the bare simplicity of the Linux system) :). It was my choice for that as
> my experience in Linux have grown with every distro i was changed. In Lunar
> i have found heaven. Maximum flexibility, the possibility to inovate,
> experiment and test new ideas and the latest packages and the maximum
> simplicity in management and maintenance. I prefer that way most of all.

Just almost the same like me :-) except that I used before only mandrake 6,8,9
- up to 10.1 and finally SGML for short time. SGML maintenance commands was
hard to learn due to 'sorcery' names so gone to more intuitive lunar. My
first positive impressions in lunar 1.4.0 was cool logo and colourful
commandline, Polish language (after fixing few files in /etc/) negatives was:
default kernel 2.4 and no boot logo. As you see 'very important' :-) things.

> The install system never was simpler and easier. However we are not
> creating a new Gentoo. We have a similar way, in some respects, but there
> are many better things in Lunar than in Gentoo. As i said it's only my
> opinion.

And mine. Example of better thing are scripts in bash. More comfortable to
learn, edit, write and use. Gentoo advatange is big community. In my opinion
lunar would gain more attention of new users if it could be translated to
other languages. Translation needs cover only lunar scripts and on-line
documentation, the tarballs are usually localized. I use lunar in Polish
language and in English are scripts and some apps only.

greets,
zbiggy