How often to update?

Duncan Gibson duncan at thermal.esa.int
Mon Nov 14 09:30:36 UTC 2005

> Then came the fun bit. I had wifi, but was unable to startxfce4 due to
> a missing /dev/input/mouse0. After a lot of help and discussion from
> Moe, Florin and Nestu on #lunar I was guided through the process of
> downloading e2fsprogs(?) to update /etc/init.d/mount, removing devfs,
> then running 'lin udev' before rebooting to get my mouse back. [*]

Oops! I forgot to add the footnote, and I didn't mean to keep everyone
in suspense, so here it is :-)

[*] I know that Lunar isn't aimed at the "average user" but for lean
    and mean servers and clusters maintained by experts. However, even
    the three experts on #lunar at the time needed some discussion about
    the 2.6.14.1 kernel, devfs and udev. Should I open this as a Forum
    article so that one of the wise can elaborate for when other users
    are searching? Or is this mailing list article sufficient?

Cheers
Duncan [aka engelsman]

"The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything."