Thanks (really!)

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed May 25 13:15:06 UTC 2005

> Hey Zbig!
>
> [SNIP]
>
> You wrote:
> > I think it is high time to close this subject. You told me how it looks
> > and  now understand. I realized that do not fit to lunar and will manage
> > to find  other distro which will be closer to my point of view. I do not
> > want to  bother people and mess mailing list with my ideas which do not
> > fit in here.

 I do intend to
> move some of those modules into moonbase when I get the time to dig into
> being a developer for real. But the technique does work *today*.
>
> My experience so far (no pun intended) is that Lunar is a friendly and
> competent "place" and that there can't be any bad intentions behind
> removing attribution etc. I am confident the guys in charge here will
> come up with the Right Thing to do.
>
> regards, Göran

You know, this project has project leader and team of developers. They created
this project and maintain it. Only few people, rather not developers, are
talking about changes - the rest is happy with the lunar "as is". This is up
to leader and developers if they want to grow lunar big as mandriva with
millions of contribs who maintain billions of packages or prefer small distro
developed by bunch of friends for friends. There is growing tendency to move
from binary distros to source based because they simply have more advatanges.
This is up to the leader and devels if they catch incoming people or allow
them to leave. As you see the decision lies in hands of sofar and other
devels - not in ours. There is no bad answer to this question, little distro
maintained by friends has advatanges/disadvatages and big community driven
distro has also pluses/minuses. I only rised controversial question (rather
not in soft way to wake up people) which has big impact on what happen with
this project in future. Earlier or later the devels will face this question.
I thought it is better for lunar to rise it earlier than later so sent it.
I'm happy that everybody take it seriously and not flamed it.

> I think you should stick around and see what happens. And you can always
> publish modules on the side using the technique I use.

Even if I leave, I will stay here :-) I have one module here, in moonbase,
(libXvMC) which I'm responsible for so can not quit so easily. The future
will show what happens. The first signals from top managment (WANTED:
module's managers) says that devels rather want this project to grow than
stay small.

Yes, your idea is very good and smart - thank you. I read it very deep. The
problem is with access. I didn't know about it till your mail with link. So
there is one disadvatange. I'm thinking about separate "playground cvs or
ftp" for contributors. Every contrib has access only to own modules. Thanks
to this core cvs is safe and devels can see which contrib knows how to play
with toys :-) (I mean makes good modules). This playground as alternative
moonbase is wraped around core moonbase. The user will install contribs
module first and if it fails can use devels module instead.

The lunar community is very friendly. Now I know there is no bad intentions.
But such strange things like removing contact data should be explaind very
early to avoid unpleasant mails. The contribs should be informed if developer
changes content of their modules so they can learn to build better modules in
future. I keep local, backup moonbase at home and track what devels change in
my modules so learn myself (e.g. changing chmod and cp pair of commands to
install -m one in NFORCE module) or send warning e-mail if changes made are
wrong.

greets,
zbiggy