Thanks

Eric Sandall eric at sandall.us
Mon May 23 20:10:58 UTC 2005

elaine wrote:
> Zbiggy, ok a few thoughts on your requests/comments
>
> Take this as a personal veiw, I'm not an active dev and haven't
> been in more than a year.
>
> First, it is questionable whether modules even qualify as copyrighted
> works. Copyright specifically excludes 'listings of ingredients or
> contents'. That is a pretty good description of most modules.
>
> (And where it isn't a good description, i.e. where significant /bin/sh
> logic/scripting is implemented in a module I would consider that to
> be a failing either on the part of the lunar core design or of the
> source authors -- bash scripting inside modules should be the exception
> and usually results in hard-to-maintain modules.)
>
> Second 'MAINTAINER's come and go. Where we have maintainers recorded in
> the modules at all, often (mostly?) they are out of date and therefore
> not very useful.
>
> Now, to give credit where credit is due is a good thing, however if
> you assert that a software team has a responsibility to credit your
> authorshio, perhaps you should think about what this entails ... not
> all contributors have the same wishes, do you really want the team
> spending it's time on this?
>
> I would argue that by default stripping the MAINTAINER field of
> contributors is the correct procedure, handling all contributors'
> different desires, let alone the tendency of people to come and go
> simply seems to be more work than it's worth.
>

> If you really want credit for your modules, why not simply add your
> email to the 'LONGDESC' field of the module DETAILS file?
<snip>

Isn't this what a ChangeLog is for? Or is more credit wanted than that?
What I do is in any script/code I submit I have a few comments such as:

#
# Created by Eric Sandall <eric at sandall.us> for <project here, e.g.
Lunar if I did that kind of thing ;)>
# Copyright (C) 2005 Eric Sandall <eric at sandall.us>
# Released under the GNU GPL (implies the latest version, IIRC)
#

Perhaps have a date in there with a version tag, if applicable.

-sandalle