I surrender

Eric Sandall eric at sandall.us
Sat May 7 18:53:52 UTC 2005

Quoting Dennis Veatch <dveatch at woh.rr.com>:
<snip>
> By and large I consider a desktop/workstation to be the same. With the prior
> not necessarily having a network connection. I suppose pendantic types would
> argue over that but well.
>
> The only real draw back I can see using Lunar in a production environment is
> the compile times. Even then I don't see where that's something that cannot
> be worked around. After all you, sofar and I'm sure others use it there.

That can be cured by using distcc from one machine to all the others to do the
updates then share the cache files amongst the other machines (NFS mount it)
and then they can just install the already compiled caches with your options
across the network. Compile once and install everywhere. ;) (that's assuming
that all of your machines would have the same options and packages. If not you
can setup several shares for each "role").

-sandalle

--
Eric Sandall                     |  Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer
eric at sandall.us PGP: 0xA8EFDD61  |  http://www.sourcemage.org/