udev58 and 1394 firewire stuff

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Mon Jun 20 12:20:04 UTC 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 02:38 am, Jaime Buffery wrote:
> Hello,
>
> >Jun  9 09:48:34 sidney ieee1394: raw1394: /dev/raw1394 device initialized
> >Jun  9 09:48:38 sidney video1394: Installed video1394 module
> >Jun 15 08:17:52 sidney ieee1394.agent[4175]: ... no drivers for IEEE1394
> >product 0x/0x/0x
>
> I still have no idea about firewire, but if there is no driver, why should
> there be a device node? Therefore, if there were a driver, wouldn't it
> create a node with default perms anyway, even if not listed in the rules
> file?

My apologies for the above cut and paste, I had grabbed the wrong one.

Ok, let me start from the beginning. There are no 1394 entries in the default
rules after udev is compiled and installed. A faulty recollection causes me
to think at one point there was at least a raw1394 entry, though I do not
have a older lunar installation around to verify that.

At the minimum besides the kernel modules there needs to be ;

KERNEL="raw1394",       NAME="%k", GROUP="usb"

to use things like dvgrab and kino.

> Above all, sending the whole rules file is a big no-no. If you want to show
> firewire rules, just show firewire rules, not the whole file. Please, this
> must not happen again. It is not only useless info, but a use of BW that we
> didn't need.

I fail to see little difference between what I sent and someone attaching a
compile log. Neither sucks up that much bandwith as both are a few tens of k
bytes or less, in this case a gigantic 136bytes. I sent that for two reasons.
First so you and others could have a handy reference regarding firewire and
second that you and others might find some useful nugget we could apply to
Lunar. Had I known you would find it useless, it would not had been sent.

Anyway, if it's that much of a butt burner I will do my best and refrain from
such activity again.