udev58 and 1394 firewire stuff

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Mon Jun 20 14:01:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 08:20:04AM -0400, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> My apologies for the above cut and paste, I had grabbed the wrong one.
Provide the correct one from the log, please. So the driver is there? Maybe a
kernel change is the problem? Checked the kernel bugtracker? Maybe the
/sbin/udevsend not working properly instead of hotplug? Check it out, see the
bugtrackers, for instace.

> Ok, let me start from the beginning. There are no 1394 entries in the default
> rules after udev is compiled and installed. A faulty recollection causes me
> to think at one point there was at least a raw1394 entry, though I do not
> have a older lunar installation around to verify that.
There is one entry for raw devices.

> At the minimum besides the kernel modules there needs to be ;
>
> KERNEL="raw1394",       NAME="%k", GROUP="usb"
>
> to use things like dvgrab and kino.
If the rules file is parsed, and there is no entry default, perms are applied,
so the node should be there. All this entry you provide does is put the node in
the usb group, otherwise it is a stock node.

> I fail to see little difference between what I sent and someone attaching a
> compile log. Neither sucks up that much bandwith as both are a few tens of k
> bytes or less, in this case a gigantic 136bytes. I sent that for two reasons.
> First so you and others could have a handy reference regarding firewire and
> second that you and others might find some useful nugget we could apply to
> Lunar. Had I known you would find it useless, it would not had been sent.
First, if someone attaches a compile log, I would have the same answer. Same is
applied if someone quotes 300 lines of another mail just to answer "Yes.". See
where I'm getting?

Secondly, if you send it so we add lines to the default conf, then please say
so, since I at least can't read your mind. IAC, listing the possible additions
to udev's rule file and not submitting the whole file would be a nice help
indeed -a patch even better. Anyway, if these new additions are the case, I
thank you, and I will personally have a look at the file once more.

> Anyway, if it's that much of a butt burner I will do my best and refrain from
> such activity again.
Your original mail was poor and gave me the sensation you hadn't looked well
enough (maybe you did, that not what I saw). You could have explained "I did
this, I did that", "I googled here and there". I have never had anything against
helping if I could -I actually enjoy it- but the other part has to show some
attitude towards learning on his own. If not, this is very fustrating.

Having said that, I by no means want users or anyone else to stop requesting
help. I ask for help every single day, but I try to do things on my own too. I
would just ask them to try to do some part themselves and not just jump to ask.
Obviously, I don't expect the same amount of questions from a complete newcomer
than from someone that has been around for quite a while.

So please reach me back with whatever you find out.

Ciao,
nestu