new idea for lunar - auto selecting download mirror using country codes

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Jul 21 07:06:12 UTC 2005

Zbigniew £uszpiñski wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Before I use any big module like firefox, patch it first by inserting in
>SOURCE_URL[0]= local, huge and fast ftp.icm.edu.pl mirror which is only 6
>hops from me (it's even closer to me than nearest proxy server!). It's quite
>boring task to patch modules knowing they will be overwritten every lunar
>update. So...
>
>What do you think about changing enumeration system of source_url to something
>more faster which allows to use local mirror servers first to speed up
>transfers?
>
>We could use for example international telephone calling codes (those one
>beginning with plus sign e.g. +48 Poland, +49 Germany +33 France, etc...) Of
>course without plus in lunar...

nice idea, but neither you nor any of us have the time to maintain 50
urls for every 2500 modules we maintain. Not to mention that mirrors are
generally a bad idea as they need to be synchronised, and everyone knows
that this doesn't always happen in the right way (like sourceforge)

>Or to preserve compability sed links with country code at end .pl e.g. to give
>to wget only the one in the same or in the neighbour country.

The current lget code already tries all mirrors in case it finds
alternatives. If you want to *add* more mirrors yourself just create
/etc/lunar/mirrors/CUSTOM/ and put more mirrors in there, or even
specify the mirrors for sourceforge or gnu yourself (Select the "custom"
entry in the mirror selection list). you can even force every download
to be attempted from one specific mirror first by setting FRESORT_URL,
the analogue last resort mirror location can be put in LRESORT_URL. Make
sure you turn on EXHAUSTIVE too.

BTW that mirror you gave me says '530 too many users'... not really useful

sofar