new idea for lunar - auto selecting download mirror using country codes

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu Jul 21 12:10:17 UTC 2005

> Zbigniew £uszpiñski wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >Before I use any big module like firefox, patch it first by inserting in
> >SOURCE_URL[0]= local, huge and fast ftp.icm.edu.pl mirror which is only 6
> >hops from me (it's even closer to me than nearest proxy server!). It's
> > quite boring task to patch modules knowing they will be overwritten every
> > lunar update. So...
> >
> >What do you think about changing enumeration system of source_url to
> > something more faster which allows to use local mirror servers first to
> > speed up transfers?
> >
> >We could use for example international telephone calling codes (those one
> >beginning with plus sign e.g. +48 Poland, +49 Germany +33 France, etc...)
> > Of course without plus in lunar...
>
> nice idea, but neither you nor any of us have the time to maintain 50
> urls for every 2500 modules we maintain. Not to mention that mirrors are
> generally a bad idea as they need to be synchronised, and everyone knows
> that this doesn't always happen in the right way (like sourceforge)

I sometimes find modules with outdated urls. I can maintain urls I use by
simply using them. The problem is with devels, if they include urls in
modules. There is more chance to catch working mirror on 50 mirror list than
on 5 mirror list. The mirrors are usually important for big files. Lunar is
designed in such well way that tries next url if previous failed. The only
change I propose is to try local mirrors first and next use the rest.
They only one problem with mirrors I had was slow update time. I had to wait 1
day to see update on mirror. I think most people do not do lunar update
everyday. Module update also takes some time. So this problem is almost non
existent.

> >Or to preserve compability sed links with country code at end .pl e.g. to
> > give to wget only the one in the same or in the neighbour country.
>
> The current lget code already tries all mirrors in case it finds
> alternatives.

Yes. But it could start with local or neighbour one. I see many German urls in
modules, but US urls are placed first so do not have possibility to use those
closer and faster urls. There is nothing wrong with US servers but they are
far away.

> If you want to *add* more mirrors yourself just create
> /etc/lunar/mirrors/CUSTOM/ and put more mirrors in there, or even

Could you drop me example file via e-mail. I couldn't find any SDK on lunar
website.

> specify the mirrors for sourceforge or gnu yourself (Select the "custom"
> entry in the mirror selection list).

Sourceforge is working good. It automaticly uses closest to me mesh form
Germany.

> you can even force every download
> to be attempted from one specific mirror first by setting FRESORT_URL,
> the analogue last resort mirror location can be put in LRESORT_URL. Make
> sure you turn on EXHAUSTIVE too.

This is not good idea. There is no mirror which mirrors everything.

> BTW that mirror you gave me says '530 too many users'... not really useful

... for people connecting outside Poland. This is local mirror, foreigners
have ultra low priority. They can connect when almost nobody uses it. But
this never happen. Thanks to such traffic filtration server is very fast.

BTW How to setup lunar to use .de mirror. I set .de mirror in LRESORT but it
still lunar update downloads moonbase from main site.

> sofar

zbiggy