new idea for lunar - auto selecting download mirror using country codes

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Jul 20 19:52:35 UTC 2005

Hi!

Before I use any big module like firefox, patch it first by inserting in
SOURCE_URL[0]= local, huge and fast ftp.icm.edu.pl mirror which is only 6
hops from me (it's even closer to me than nearest proxy server!). It's quite
boring task to patch modules knowing they will be overwritten every lunar
update. So...

What do you think about changing enumeration system of source_url to something
more faster which allows to use local mirror servers first to speed up
transfers?

We could use for example international telephone calling codes (those one
beginning with plus sign e.g. +48 Poland, +49 Germany +33 France, etc...) Of
course without plus in lunar...

Or to preserve compability sed links with country code at end .pl e.g. to give
to wget only the one in the same or in the neighbour country.

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski