A Lunar review

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Thu Aug 4 23:58:15 UTC 2005

> On 8/4/05, Florin Braescu <florin at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >   There is a small review about Lunar Linux here
> > http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/07/25/1319212 . The conclusions
> > are interested to be checked and worked out.
>
> a poor review. sofar and csm already ranted about it and larted
> Preston St. Pierre more than once.

Yes. The author of review neither mentioned which ISO version he was using nor
system config - this is basic error. Next mistake was category: can not
understand why lunar was assigned to desktop, multimedia, newbie category not
server, performance, admin. I installed lunar few months ago (ISO 1.4.0) and
did not find any module compilation or installation errors - I was surprised
about that, expected errors (you know, not popular distro, small, etc.). The
first packages I installed was X.org and KDE. Works like a charm. When I
found lunar first time there was information that lunar is in general
designed for server and admin use. I remember that had problem with SATA
which was immediately resolved by nice people on IRC (thank you!). I do not
know where the author got these URLs looking for help. Making desktop lunar
is easy but require some work, but nobody can blame developers about this -
lunar is designed for servers so if someone tries to make desktop with
multimedia must expect to put some work in it. I think that lunar (thanks to
fresh packages and compilation with mmx, sse) is more multimedia friendly
than mandrakes (i586 binary) I used before thru years. According to
documentation lunar is for servers and experienced admins - so how someone
can expect user friendlines, hw auto detection? What for should be auto
detection during install if you manually configure kernel? Only HDD should be
detected to copy data to disk. useradd is described in all basic *nix books
so why expecting other commands? The x configuration is auto made using X
configuration tools, so why lunar should do this? Of course installation of
packages are minimal. This is very good for server or users looking for
performance desktop. I must say that can neither reproduce any of erros the
author mentioned nor confirm bugs which in my opinion are lunar's features
which like and won't change.

The only quirks I had was with KDE. First time KDE must be run as root to
generate files in tmp, and startx do not launch KDE, a command must be add to
X config first. But admins know such things so, like with udev config, these
complications appeared because of my ignorance not bugs.

Conclusion:
Think I should add these KDE quirks to Tips&Tricks on lunar www page.

There are some things to improve (like in any other OS or distro) but we are
here to detect and fix them. (Sometimes in rude way, like me :-( )

diff for review:
-Linar Linux's package
+Lunar Linux's package

greets,