I surrender

Richard Pyne rpyne at kinfolk.org
Fri Apr 29 06:04:10 UTC 2005

I give up! Tomorrow I'm going to start looking for another
distro to try on my laptop, probably Mandrake or Redhat. I have
been using Lunar on my servers since the 1.2 iso came out, and
will continue using for my server, but for a desktop with X,
well....

Two months ago, my employer presented me with a brand new Dell
Inspiron 6000 laptop. Having a 60 Gig drive, I was elated that
there would be enough space to make it multi-boot so I could use
Linux for everything other than the few things that gave me no
choice.

So, I grabbed a copy of Partition Magic and shrunk the NTFS
partition down to 10 Gig and grabbed the CD of my favorite Linux
distro - Lunar. Things went quite well through the basic install
even thought there were some minor glitches getting the NIC to
work. Even the switch to the 2.6 kernel and patching it for mppe-
mppc went relatively smooth. All was well, I had a good base
system, complete with drivers for both the wireless (using
ndiswrapper), the hardwire networking, and even successfully
connecting to the office PPTP tunnel.

I decided to get a KDE desktop up. Not too bad, a few hangups
with dependencies and some struggles getting it configured for
my oddball 1280 x 800 wide screen video. Things seemed to be
working fine.

Then the problems started, the new KDE update came out in
moonbase. The lunar upgrade took most of a night to upgrade, but
then I could no longer log in under KDE. As soon as I would try,
X would crash and restart. The log said something about an
authentication error. After fighting with it for a few days, I
ended up with X (Xorg) working, but only with a default desktop,
not KDE. After trying to re-lin KDE hoping that it would solve
the problem, I still could not get KDE to start.

Well, after two weeks of frustration, I decided to take drastic
steps and wipe out the Linux install and start fresh.

Installing KDE after gettng the base OS back on went fairly
well, even though there were a couple of missing dependencies.
Everything went well until I rebooted to level 5 and tried to
log in with KDE. Actually, the login worked alright, but about
half way through the "initializing peripheral" part, KDE and/or
X crashed, restarted and presented me with a login screen again.
Not a hint of what went wrong showed up in any of the logs.
After re-linning most of KDE with no improvement, I decided to
try installing gnome2, after all, gnome is a good workable
desktop. That was five days ago. Again, there were missing
dependencies and modules that couldn't download. Tonight's
frustration comes from the compile of cairo (required by firefox
which is required by gnome2) It fails with:

 gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I. -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -fno-strict-aliasing -O2 -mcpu=pentium4 -march=pentium4 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse,387 -MT cairo_glitz_surface.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/cairo_glitz_surface.Tpo -c cairo_glitz_surface.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/cairo_glitz_surface.o
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_cairo_glitz_surface_get_image':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:122: error: structure has no member named `red_size'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:125: error: structure has no member named `alpha_size'
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_glitz_operator':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:310: error: `GLITZ_OPERATOR_SATURATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:310: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
cairo_glitz_surface.c:310: error: for each function it appears in.)
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_glitz_surface_create_solid':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:325: warning: implicit declaration of function `glitz_surface_find_similar_standard_format'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:325: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
cairo_glitz_surface.c:329: warning: implicit declaration of function `glitz_surface_create_similar'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:329: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_cairo_glitz_surface_create_similar':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:354: error: structure has no member named `read'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:355: error: `GLITZ_FORMAT_READ_OFFSCREEN_MASK' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:358: error: structure has no member named `draw'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:359: error: `GLITZ_FEATURE_OFFSCREEN_MULTISAMPLE_MASK' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:360: error: structure has no member named `multisample'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:360: error: structure has no member named `multisample'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:361: error: `GLITZ_FORMAT_MULTISAMPLE_SAMPLES_MASK' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:364: error: structure has no member named `draw'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:366: error: `GLITZ_FORMAT_DRAW_OFFSCREEN_MASK' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:371: error: structure has no member named `alpha_size'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:375: error: structure has no member named `red_size'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:380: error: structure has no member named `alpha_size'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:380: error: structure has no member named `red_size'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:387: warning: implicit declaration of function `glitz_surface_find_similar_format'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:387: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
cairo_glitz_surface.c:391: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
cairo_glitz_surface.c:397: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_glitz_composite':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:457: warning: passing arg 4 of `glitz_set_geometry' from incompatible pointer type
cairo_glitz_surface.c:457: error: too many arguments to function `glitz_set_geometry'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:468: error: too many arguments to function `glitz_set_geometry'
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_cairo_glitz_surface_fill_rectangles':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:558: error: union has no member named `mode'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:558: error: `GLITZ_GEOMETRY_MODE_DIRECT' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:559: error: union has no member named `edge_hint'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:559: error: `GLITZ_GEOMETRY_EDGE_HINT_SHARP' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:560: error: union has no member named `primitive'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:560: error: `GLITZ_GEOMETRY_PRIMITIVE_QUADS' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:561: error: union has no member named `type'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:562: error: union has no member named `first'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:563: error: union has no member named `count'
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `_cairo_glitz_surface_composite_trapezoids':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:645: error: union has no member named `mode'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:645: error: `GLITZ_GEOMETRY_MODE_DIRECT' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:646: error: union has no member named `edge_hint'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:646: error: `GLITZ_GEOMETRY_EDGE_HINT_GOOD_SMOOTH' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:647: error: union has no member named `primitive'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:647: error: `GLITZ_GEOMETRY_PRIMITIVE_QUADS' undeclared (first use in this function)
cairo_glitz_surface.c:648: error: union has no member named `type'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:649: error: union has no member named `first'
cairo_glitz_surface.c:650: error: union has no member named `count'
cairo_glitz_surface.c: In function `cairo_glitz_surface_create':
cairo_glitz_surface.c:922: warning: implicit declaration of function `glitz_surface_get_features'
make[2]: *** [cairo_glitz_surface.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cairo-0.2.0/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/cairo-0.2.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2
++ Mark Compile stop   : "cairo" "0.2.0" "Fri Apr 29 05:01:35 UTC 2005"

--Richard