Colony replacement!

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Fri Nov 26 18:32:55 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am really in the need for a colony replacement so I've written a
cleanroom replacement of colony/cabal. Right now it is in beta and you
can find it in the latest version of lunar-tools (2004.5). The program
is called 'clad' which stands for CLuster ADministration (tool). It's
not really integrated but uses some lunar functionality for specific
functions, hence released in lunar-tools.

A short intro:

clad is a typical command line tool that works always in the same way:
`clad ACTION [CLUSTER [nodes | command]]`. There of course are the
obligatory -h -v and -d options and --help is a bit more extensive.

You create a cluster with 'clad create clustername'. Clad will prompt
you for a id_dsa passphrase and define the cluster. Then you 'clad add
clustername node1 node2 node3' which will result in the appropriate
pubkey for that cluster definition to be uploaded through ssh to each node.

Once setup succesfully, clad will use ssh-add to store the passphrase so
you only need to login once if you have your ssh-agent running. If
needed clad will run one temporarily but you will have to type your
passphrase with ever clad command of course. If you want to run multiple
commands after another you can 'clad login clustername' and later 'clad
logout clustername'. Between those commands you can succesfully execute
commands on each node without typing a single password.

This all of course relies on ssh and the ability to logon with a
plaintext password first to upload the key. You should make sure you use
proper passwords and turn off password auth for root after you have
setup your nodes.

There is no support for concurrent runs ATM. I will dig into that later.
  I hope everyone can live with this bare minimum replacement of
cabal/colony which I will erase ASAP from lunar/theedge as it is broken ATM.

PS the name choice is preliminary. People with stronger names can
suggest a better one to me.

sofar