Problems with DVD Playback

Carl R. Powers powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil
Fri Jan 23 17:04:46 GMT 2004

Several months ago I got DVD playback working using xine, gxine,
totem, and MPlayer.  Since that time, something has changed so that
now DVD playback is "choppy" or "jerky" - not a smooth continuous
playback as it was and should be.  MPlayer seems to be the least affected.

I update often so my systems are up to date.  I've tried recompiling the
GUI's, xine-lib, and the several libdvd* packages with no improvement.
Have not been able to recompile MPlayer.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?  It's not hardware - playback
still works fine under Windows (PowerDVD) and under Fedora using the
prebuilt rpms from freshrpms.net.

All help and suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Carl R. Powers
<powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil><powers at copper.net>