connection-speed throttled?

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Sun Apr 11 12:43:27 GMT 2004

Op Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:13:40 +0200 schreef Moritz Heiber aan Remco Lubbers
<rpl at concepts.nl>,Lunar general discussion list <lunar at lunar-linux.org>:

>Remco Lubbers wrote:
> > Well, I tried a few Lunar-mirrors and didn't get the downloadspeeds any higher
> > than 15 Kb/s, with an average around 13 Kb/s. Maybe you get higher speeds
> > because of your location?
>
> de.lunar-linux.org is located at the FU-Berlin, Germany, featuring a 355
> Mbit connection line. You should be getting the maximum out of your
> bandwidth while downloading from it from all around the world.

Ok, I did not know it existed, it's not in the mirrorlist, but you are right:
<command>
[remco at ws1 remco]$ wget http://de.lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.4.0.iso.bz2
--12:36:40--  http://de.lunar-linux.org/lunar/lunar-1.4.0.iso.bz2
	   => `lunar-1.4.0.iso.bz2.3'
Resolving de.lunar-linux.org... done.
Connecting to de.lunar-linux.org[160.45.117.70]:80... connected.
Length: 119,265,491 [text/plain]

 2% [					  ] 2,452,546	  50.87K/s    ETA 37:22
</command>

> I really think this is a local network problem and certainly ain't Lunar
> related. Try checking for cables, NICs or your bandwidth.

Well, I am pretty sure it is not!
On the same switch I have an identical server, installed with gentoo. So the
only difference between these systems are:
- port on switch
- cable
- distro
Even kernelversions are the same! This system does not have this problem. Even
if I use this system to download something from the lunar-system, the speed is
about 15 kb/s! If I do it the other way around, the speed is 70 Mb/s!

If i really can't find anything else I'll drive up to the datacentre tuesday
and switch cables between these system, so everything is eliminated. If that
does not help I'll switch harddisk, you to make VERY sure!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)
| Linux kernel 2.4.25 | Lunar 1.4.0 | XFce 4.0.4 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |