connection-speed throttled?

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Tue Apr 13 10:10:19 GMT 2004

Hi Guys,

Op Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:13:40 +0200 schreef Moritz Heiber aan Remco Lubbers
<rpl at concepts.nl>,Lunar general discussion list <lunar at lunar-linux.org>:

>Remco Lubbers wrote:
> > Well, I tried a few Lunar-mirrors and didn't get the downloadspeeds any higher
> > than 15 Kb/s, with an average around 13 Kb/s. Maybe you get higher speeds
> > because of your location?

> I really think this is a local network problem and certainly ain't Lunar
> related. Try checking for cables, NICs or your bandwidth.

You were right!
I've put in a 3Com NIC and got a normal connection & transfer-speed
immediately.
The onboard via-rhine apparantly doesn't combine very well with the cisco 2950
when they both are set to auto-negotiate: I set the cisco-port to 100mbps/full
and the via-rhine NIC wouldn't connect any more, even though it auto-negotiated
to 100mbps/full according to the logs.
locking the via-rhine on 100mbps/full through the kernel-options did the trick.

Downloading large files (500 Mb - 2 Gb) to another network over HTTP or FTP
from this server now gives me an average speed of 1.85 - 2.0 Mb/s , which is
significantly higher than the identical server, installed with another distro,
reaching speeds up to 1.5 Mb/s :D

Could it be, that the server lost speed because the switch and the nic kept
negotiating during transfer? I still can't figure out why my other testserver,
which is identical, doesn't have this problem ....

Anyways: I'm sorry for any commotion I may have caused by posting my problem
prematurely, blaming Lunar! Mea culpa!

Cheers,

remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)
| Linux kernel 2.4.25 | Lunar 1.4.0 | XFce 4.0.4 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |