error during 'make install'

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Apr 7 23:33:41 GMT 2004

Carl R. Powers wrote:
> Would it be reasonable to modify lin so that anytime an update of an
> existing
> package failed AFTER the old package was removed or moved out of the way,
> it would automatically resurrect the old version?   I haven't seen this
> "no rule to
> make install" failure recently, but 6-8 months ago it was eating my
> lunch on
> many updates!  Now I mainly see errors during post-install which keep lunar
> from knowing the package got installed or updated.

resonable? I don't know, but think of the following things:

when would you want such a feature? if you are doing unattended upgrades
perhaps, otherwise you can immediately respond. In that case you should
not unattendedly revert a version number. Especially after major lib
upgrades you might get major breakage...and resurrecting might just make
it worse, since you really need to recompile apps.

in all cases you're better off attacking the problem on a 1:1 base IMO.

Now that said, the error ""no rule to make install"" comes from the fact
that 'Makefile' somehow is missing. In order to work out what the exact
problem is please send me the output from `lvu from /usr/src/` (note
trailing '/')

sofar