error during 'make install'

Carl R. Powers powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil
Thu Apr 8 11:41:04 GMT 2004

Auke,

When would I want such a feature?  Well, it would help on any update
failure
occuring after the prior version had been deleted or moved out of the
way or failure
during post-install before the logs get created.  6-8 months ago it
would have saved
me many days of labor going through /usr/src and recompiling packages
that failed
with "no rule to make install", or failed downstream from it due to a
required package
no longer being installed.  It was particularly painful when it happened
to glibc and
coreutils.  You should find a couple of bug reports from last year
related to this
problem.   More recently these chain failures have been due to doc file
install
problems.

My problems have greatly diminished since I have done fresh installs
with each
new lunar release - 1.40 is doing especially well.  But, I have also
started backing
up my install more often and try to run "lunar update" every day or two
to keep
from doing a lot of updates at once.  I'm looking forward to the Gnome 2.6
upgrade with both anticipation and dread.

If you did implement such a feature, you would probably want to create a
special
log in /root or /usr/src listing what had beed done so it could be
separately addressed.
If it were a problem affecting one of the key modules, you might also
want to abort
any pending updates in that session.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.  Lunar is still the best
source-based distro
out there.  Keep up the good work.

Carl Powers
<powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil><powers at copper.net>