Quake III Arena. No sound using ALSA??

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Wed May 7 12:40:42 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 06:39 am, Chris wrote:
> Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > Is anyone running Quake III Arena with ALSA sound?
> > The game runs great but I got no sound. Ihade sound when I switched to
> > OSS sound but the game would lockup right wen it would drop you in to the
> > arena?
> >
> > Any help would be great
> >
> > Thanks
> > Ralph
>
> Hi Ralph,
>
> which soundard do you have? Have you unmuted all your soundchannels? Is
> the ALSA oss plugin loaded (snd-pcm-oss)? What is the output of the q3
> console? Do you have the latest pointrelease (1.32b)?
> Most (id) games open the sounddevice using the record and playback
> channel(s). If the record channel is already used (ie Teamspeak) q3 can
> not open the device. So you should check that no other soundapp or
> -daemon is running.
> To tell alsa that q3 does not want to record anything you can try this:
>
> echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
> echo "quake3.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss
>
> I have no problems running q3 with a sb-128 (ct 5880) and a sb-live
> (emu10k1) using ALSA.
>
> Greetz
> Chris

Ihave an Intell chipset:
snd-intel8x0

Sound channels are unmuted.

snd-pcm-oss is loaded (checked lsmod).

Here is the output of 'quake3':

------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ
trying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less
performance code)
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
Sound memory manager started
VM file ui compiled to 594408 bytes of code
ui loaded in 1963008 bytes on the hunk
35 arenas parsed
32 bots parsed