Quake III Arena. No sound using ALSA??

Chris da2gnu at lycos.de
Wed May 7 12:39:03 GMT 2003

Ralph Crongeyer wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is anyone running Quake III Arena with ALSA sound?
> The game runs great but I got no sound. Ihade sound when I switched to OSS
> sound but the game would lockup right wen it would drop you in to the arena?
>
> Any help would be great
>
> Thanks
> Ralph

Hi Ralph,

which soundard do you have? Have you unmuted all your soundchannels? Is
the ALSA oss plugin loaded (snd-pcm-oss)? What is the output of the q3
console? Do you have the latest pointrelease (1.32b)?
Most (id) games open the sounddevice using the record and playback
channel(s). If the record channel is already used (ie Teamspeak) q3 can
not open the device. So you should check that no other soundapp or
-daemon is running.
To tell alsa that q3 does not want to record anything you can try this:

echo "quake3.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss
echo "quake3.x86 0 0 disable" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0c/oss

I have no problems running q3 with a sb-128 (ct 5880) and a sb-live
(emu10k1) using ALSA.

Greetz
Chris