Problem compiling xfree86

Steven Michalske michalsc at email.uc.edu
Wed Mar 26 10:54:16 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 26 March 2003 7:44 am, Nick Hudson wrote:
> [...]
that is not true there is a localsa config feature that was put in  i dont use
that but it is avaliable,  others that use it or know how it works please
reply

> >However I do not like the idea of having a 10gb partition for >lunar.
> >I can run a Mandrake installation with gnome etc. in under 2gb. >I
> >though that lunar, by being a lean and efficient distro could >live on
> >less space.
>
> Well Mandrake/RH can live on less space because the binary isnt optimized
> therefore its smaller in size.  Yes most of the time the rpm itself is
> bigger than the source in some cases the total binary is smaller.  Also you
> have a choice to install dev packages with rpms.  As for source you dont
> you get the whole package as one, with opts the binary gets bigger.  Also
> with RH/Mandrake it doesnt keep the rpm file on disk where Lunar and other
> source distros do.  Lunar for instance keeps a copy of the source in
> /var/spool/lunar and keeps a copy of each compiled package in
> /var/cache/lunar so really you have 2 coipes of each source on your disk
> which cuts down on space.  Lets say there are  7 source packages for X well
> altogether lets just say it totals up to 300 megs, well the compiled source
> in /var/cache/lunar  would be alot bigger lets say around 700 megs ... so
> in that case you have 300+700 is 1000 megs which is almost a gig of space
> taken up by one module.  Now another case is Mozilla.  Mozilla is  30+ megs
> as a source tarred up.  Now while its compiling the untarred source grows
> to over a gig of source code.  See now why you will need more than 2 gigs
> of space.  Im not saying it cant be done ... im just saying that you will
> run out of space real quick expecially when you have X and Gnome2/Mozilla
> installed.
>
> >Concering combreloc: I didn't have any problems so far (compiled
> >binutils, glibc, xfree86 with it) but I read on some forums that
> >its use may be problematic so I just wanted to know what is the
> >experience of the other lunar users.
>
> Well read Chucks email, seems he has problems with it with emacs.  I dont
> use emacs so I havent experienced any problems.

the emacs module removes combreloc so it is safe to turn on,  but dont try
turning on options on a per module baises that we have turned off :-P