Opinion: More Default Packages

elaine forbes elaine at fwsystems.com
Mon Jan 27 08:55:13 GMT 2003

I think there's no reason not to make this possible, as long as someone
has the resources and time to set it up (and possibly support?) it.

Btw, here ( http://cache2.lunar-linux.org/1.1.2-list/index.html ) is the
list of what's *on* the ISO, it's actually a fairly complete setup, you
just can't do much more with it than build software and do essential
management.

While I agree with the other responses that I don't want to swell the
install iso image, it wouldn't be too hard to create a second iso
with the contents of /var/cache/lunar, And such an image can be
loopback-mounted once you have a running system, so no need even
to toast a blank cd.

It's at least a partial solution to the bandwidth-challenged, by my
count the install-cache tarballs run a little more than 50% of the size of
the sources.

The major hitch for my part is limited resources for building vanilla
pentium binaries, further limited because I'm *only* using lunar for
server stuff so about as far as I can test in gui stuff is X11 and some
basic wm's.

That said I'd be game to provide download space for compiled modules
and populate it with at least the tools I use, That can be both the
individual modules and an 'applications' iso.

Potential hitches??

Things which reference kernel-headers probably shouldn't be installed this way.

I haven't thought about how 'lin' will deal with dependencies if compiled
tarballs are placed into the cache.

elaine

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 18:11:26 -0800 (PST) (unchecked - local sync NTPstrat4)
"Todd A. Jacobs" <nospam at codegnome.org> did inscribe thusly: