Modified ISO

Todd A. Jacobs tjacobs-dated-1043904065.5c11c9 at codegnome.org
Fri Jan 24 21:21:04 GMT 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Terry Chan wrote:

> You seem to be confused on the usage of UML.  You compile up the UML

Not at all. I'm trying to build a Lunar ISO that can be *installed* under
UML on any host.

> There is no need to replace the kernel on the Lunar ISO with the UML
> kernel. That will not serve any useful purpose and more than likely it
> will not leave the Lunar ISO in a bootable state.

Of course it serves a useful purpose. Without a UML kernel, the ISO-based
installer can't be run. If you're not already running Lunar, you'd have to
build the entire filesystem by hand since you couldn't use the normal
installer.

> If your Linux box is not running Lunar already, then the whole point of
> using UML is to compile the UML kernel and run IT on your current Linux

Um, no. You're thinking of the skas patch, which runs on the host. The
UML patch has to be applied to the kernel running inside the virtual
machine, so that its processes and threads can run in userspace on the
host.

--
"Of course I'm in shape! Round's a shape, isn't it?"