Modified ISO

Terry Chan tpchan at attbi.com
Fri Jan 24 22:58:45 GMT 2003

You seem to be confused on the usage of UML.  You compile up the UML kernel
which is built currently on top of 2.4.19 with the UML patches.  The easiest
way to do this on a Lunar box is "lin uml".

Once you have your UML kernel you can use that to run what ever root filesys
you want.  That root filesys also can boot what ever kernel you want,
including the kernel-2.4.20 on the Lunar-1.2 iso.

There is no need to replace the kernel on the Lunar ISO with the UML kernel.
That will not serve any useful purpose and more than likely it will not
leave the Lunar ISO in a bootable state.

I use UML to test boot the Lunar ISO and my UML kernel boots Lunar-1.2 just
fine.

If your Linux box is not running Lunar already, then the whole point of
using UML is to compile the UML kernel and run IT on your current Linux
system to then allow you to test boot various other Linux kernels and/or
distributions.  You do NOT replace each distributions kernel with the
UML kernel.  That entirely defeats the whole point of using UML in the
first place.

Use the UML utitilites to create and then populate a root_fs that contains
basically the Lunar-1.2 ISO.  Then a simple command like this will boot
the Lunar-1.2 ISO:

uml mem=128M ubd0=root_fs ubd1=emptyfs.swap.512

Terry Chan