Greetings, praise and an SMP issue

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Thu Jan 9 20:59:56 GMT 2003

Welcome George.

> hi
>
> I'm new to the list so: hi :)
>
> I'd like to say that i'm kinda impressed with lunar. I started using SGL
> ~18 months ago but went with SMGL when the Bad Stuff (tm) happened.
> Unfortunatley I had to stop using SMGL about 4 months ago as it got just
> too unstable. After the SGL fiasco and due to the SPL licence i refuse to
> return to SGL. Tried gentoo and hated it, ended up with a somewhat
> customised slackware.

Yep, been there, done those (minus slack), now here.

> I installed lunar on 2&1/2 machines today and it _worked!_ Reminds me a bit
> of the days of SGL just before the db upgrade. I totally agree with having
> devfs on /dev and there seems to be some nice dependency stuff under the
> hood. Are dependencies still lax as in SGL (eg. nothing has xfree86 in
> DEPENDS)?

Lol, never knew there was 1/2 a machine. What kind is it?:)
There are a number of modules that rely on Xfree so those dependencies exist.
Some of them will not work without Xfree so might as well be a dependency.

> The one issue I had was on an old compaq dual ppro, if I rebooted after
> using the 1.1.2 CD the 2nd processor wouldn't initialise. Worked fine
> rebooting from DOS (i had a good reason) and my usual linux rescue floppy.
> Unfortunatly I can't test it more right now 'cause i killed the SCSI cable
> and I don't have a spare (doh!).

Odd you had a problem with your dually. Durning the install I chose SMP for
the kernel compile (IBM PC Server 330) and it worked fine. Mmmmm, though I
used Dirty Bird.

--
Registered Linux User - 193414

"Windows: A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit
patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit
microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one
bit of competition." -- Jargon File Resouces.

Sig for OSS: Never be afraid to try something yourself, remember amateurs
built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.