Older Versions of Packages

johnlowell johnlowell at ameritech.net
Fri Aug 15 05:00:46 GMT 2003

Terry Chan wrote:

>Your fonts being unreadable are not a function of which version of Mozilla
>is compiled on your box.
>
>If you had Moz-1.3 installed previously and then compiled Moz-1.4, more
>than likely your ~/.mozilla dir is causing preference/setup problems when
>installing/invoking Moz-1.4.
>
>If you have not had a previous version of Mozilla installed and your
>fonts are still unreadable then you probably have a gtk+-2 font related problem.
>
>Moz-1.4 fonts work fine for everyone else in Lunar, that's why we have
>mozilla at 1.4 in moonbase.  In fact mozilla-firebird works just fine for
>me as well which is based on mozilla-1.5.1.
>
>Terry Chan
>On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:52:56PM +0000, johnlowell wrote:
>

>>Precisely what chance is there of obtaining older versions of packages
>>than are currently in the moonbase? Mozilla 1.4 is the current version
>>for that package but the default fonts used on the tool bars are so
>>small as to make them unreadable. At least you can see File, Edit, View,
>>Format, etc. in version 1.3. Is it possible to get 1.3 instead somehow?
>>
>>John Lowell

The question posed here is not why I might be having a font problem, it
is rather whether or not a preferred version of Mozilla will be
available to me with this distro. I'm led to believe by r0dzilla that an
earlier version just might be available and, if so, I'd prefer to have
it that way. In the circumstances, that no one else in lunar experiences
problems with 1.4 as I do would seem to me an irretrievable irrelevance,
frankly.

The difficulty I experience with version 1.4 relates both to the
appearance of the interface itself, specifically to the width of the
tool bars, and to the consequent size of the fonts on them. In my view,
compared to version 1.3, they are unacceptably small. This difference in
versions has been observed with fresh installs on two other distros of a
similar nature to Lunar and in circumstances where the window manager
employed was identical. I'm told elsewhere that while these aspects of
Mozilla are configurable they are only so at some considerable
inconvenience.  So I've chosen to continue with 1.3 since that version
was available in those cases.  It had been my hope, of course, that
Lunar might accomodate my preference in versions also.

John Lowell