xfs

johnlowell johnlowell at ameritech.net
Wed Aug 13 22:15:41 GMT 2003

Yesterday I installed XFree86 on this thing. At the beginning of the
install I recall being offered an option to start something like  xfs on
boot. It was in yellow. Thinking that the reference may have had
something to do with booting directly into X without my having to invoke
it with the command startx, I entered "n" and went on.  At boot, I now
have the line "Stopping xfs:  not running  [ WARN  ]  right after
"INIT:  entering run level 3". Huh? What in heavens name is this anyway?
Is this a reference to the XFS file system?  I disabled XFS in the
kernel and want nothing to do with it.  Does X start the XFS file system
at boot or something? I've never seen this before and don't know what's
at issue. Can someone help?

John Lowell