regarding mailing to maintainer's

Jean Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Mar 19 17:58:48 CET 2012

Hello,

I got a mail by dagbrown who has been unhappy (still is?) that he
received the automatic mail regarding the removal of the MAINTAINER
field if the specific person doesn't respond within ~2 weeks.

First of all my appologies to those who feel the same than dagbrown for
receiving this automatic mail - I could have removed addresses of
developers I know beeing active in Lunar - I decided to not to because
of a few reasons:

1) Not everyone might know for what modules he/she/it has set
   himself/herself for as MAINTAINER. The mail gives everyone an
   overview. Some are set as MAINTAINER for 5+ modules.
2) With the first step of having stable/unstable in lunar linux and
   working out some sort of security when updating stable - the use of
   the MAINTAINER field is a good thing. Currently some people are
   ignoring a set MAINTAINER field - Just updating everything. In stable
   branch this won't be allowed - Thats why it's important that the
   MAINTAINER field is only filled by people who are really a MAINTAINER
   for that specific module. The mail gives em' the chance to think
   about that. Beeing a Maintainer means as soon as someone wants to
   take a module from "unstable" (master) to the stable branch - the
   MAINTAINER is asked first - Only in case the maintainer isn't
   responding within a specific amount of time, someone might update it
   without waiting for the maintainer to respond. That means:
   You as a Maintainer will be asked if something happens with the
   module.

   Apart from that some devs I talked to whish this behaviour (as in
   respecting the maintainer field and asking the maintainer BEFORE
   touching a module) in unstable (master), too - something we should
   maybe talk about.

I also wrote a short article about the future use of the maintainer
flag on lunar-linux.org - Just check the frontpage.

Now another important part:
Of course, we won't clear the MAINTAINER field where the developer has
been active on irc, the maillinglist or did commits within the past few
months (and yes dagbrown, I know you're active, same goes for
El_Angelo, tchan, and others) in Addition, before I remove some
maintainer flag, I WILL ask ratler (so you need to blame both of us)

So long :)
Jean // wdp