mesa-lib

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Wed Jun 20 17:35:57 CEST 2012

On 06/20/2012 03:14 AM, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> On 06/20/2012 01:12 AM, Auke Kok wrote:
>> On 06/19/2012 06:11 PM, Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
>>> Sorry Auke but these are sad facts about stable. As I promised I keep
>>> away
>>> from stable so do not know personally how changes looks like there -
>>> only
>>> know what Jean wrote on dev ML some time ago.
>>>
>>> The term Jabbers is just my observation of dev ML and effect of my
>>> frustration seeing how much characters were wasted on jabbering not
>>> coding. My posts are also waste because I know I could use this time for
>>> debugging/fixing/improving/updating Lunar. I have one life, one time -
>>> nobody will give me second life or more time. Life is short and I
>>> want it
>>> spend effective. I do not like jabbering that is why I avoid irc and
>>> seldom post on ML. I'm not a nice guy who smiles to others. People do
>>> not
>>> have to like me and I'm sure they do not like me. Lunar is the thing
>>> they
>>> should like. If it will be user friendly, up to date and stable they
>>> will
>>> like it. Some of them for sure will like to join and improve it more.
>>
>> Enough is enough.
>>
>> I have revoked your commit access to moonbase.
>>
>> From now on, in order to get your changes in, you will need to send a
>> git pull request to me, and Cc this mailing list.
>>
>> The git pull request must be in the following format, or include the
>> same elements at least:
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Hi! I've made the following changes in my git tree. You can pull the
>> changes from here:
>>
>> git pull <git url> <branchname>
>>
>> <output of `git diff [BASE] | diffstat -p1`>
>> <output of `git log --pretty=format:"%s" [BASE]`>
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I will review your changes as usual with any review process, and decide
>> either to accept or reject them as I see fit, based on my own or other
>> developers' opinions.
>>

> There are two things I see in this thread that concern me.
>
> First is the view that some of us devs are expected to be janitors
> spinning our wheels fixing breakage not caused by our own commits. For a
> while I was mostly OK with that thinking some things will always slip by
> but it reached a point that I was spending more time doing that than
> offering my meager help fixing more fundamental issues.
>
> The second item is the prevailing view that fast and furious updates
> coupled with ensuring moonbase has the absolute latest and greatest will
> some how attract users and developers. Well, it should be obvious over
> the past several years that is not working. I suspect it has done the
> opposite because there is not enough of us devs to keep up with the
> constant breakage caused by the rapid pace of updates. It should be
> obvious that type of scenario demotivates since no matter how fast
> problems can be fixed more are piled on faster than can be handled.

I've done about 5-6 clean installs in the last month, and in all of them
I've wasted at least an hour getting past mesa-lib+xorg. That's just
unacceptable IMO, so I share your sentiment.

> I get your concern about the tone of his responses and to be honest I am
> mostly OK with that chalking it up to his non-native language skills. I
> see v4hn just posted a response while I am typing this asking for an
> explanation. I don't need one, your the lead and your decision, that I
> am fine with even if the shoe had been on my foot.
>
> I do think zbiggy is entitled to express his opinion even if it means
> calling me a "jabber". In my 56 years such an accusation hardly
> registers on my radar.

That's not the main part of my concern.

The biggest reason I have a problem with some of the replies is that
people would rather write 3 very long e-mails than do what another
developer asks.

That's entirely the wrong attitude.

Auke