mesa-lib

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 20 12:14:49 CEST 2012

On 06/20/2012 01:12 AM, Auke Kok wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 06:11 PM, Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
>> Sorry Auke but these are sad facts about stable. As I promised I keep
>> away
>> from stable so do not know personally how changes looks like there -
>> only
>> know what Jean wrote on dev ML some time ago.
>>
>> The term Jabbers is just my observation of dev ML and effect of my
>> frustration seeing how much characters were wasted on jabbering not
>> coding. My posts are also waste because I know I could use this time for
>> debugging/fixing/improving/updating Lunar. I have one life, one time -
>> nobody will give me second life or more time. Life is short and I
>> want it
>> spend effective. I do not like jabbering that is why I avoid irc and
>> seldom post on ML. I'm not a nice guy who smiles to others. People do
>> not
>> have to like me and I'm sure they do not like me. Lunar is the thing
>> they
>> should like. If it will be user friendly, up to date and stable they
>> will
>> like it. Some of them for sure will like to join and improve it more.
>
> Enough is enough.
>
> I have revoked your commit access to moonbase.
>
> From now on, in order to get your changes in, you will need to send a
> git pull request to me, and Cc this mailing list.
>
> The git pull request must be in the following format, or include the
> same elements at least:
>
> ---
>
> Hi! I've made the following changes in my git tree. You can pull the
> changes from here:
>
> git pull <git url> <branchname>
>
> <output of `git diff [BASE] | diffstat -p1`>
> <output of `git log --pretty=format:"%s" [BASE]`>
>
> ---
>
> I will review your changes as usual with any review process, and decide
> either to accept or reject them as I see fit, based on my own or other
> developers' opinions.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Auke

There are two things I see in this thread that concern me.

First is the view that some of us devs are expected to be janitors
spinning our wheels fixing breakage not caused by our own commits. For a
while I was mostly OK with that thinking some things will always slip by
but it reached a point that I was spending more time doing that than
offering my meager help fixing more fundamental issues.

The second item is the prevailing view that fast and furious updates
coupled with ensuring moonbase has the absolute latest and greatest will
some how attract users and developers. Well, it should be obvious over
the past several years that is not working. I suspect it has done the
opposite because there is not enough of us devs to keep up with the
constant breakage caused by the rapid pace of updates. It should be
obvious that type of scenario demotivates since no matter how fast
problems can be fixed more are piled on faster than can be handled.

I get your concern about the tone of his responses and to be honest I am
mostly OK with that chalking it up to his non-native language skills. I
see  v4hn just posted a response while I am typing this asking for an
explanation. I don't need one, your the lead and your decision, that I
am fine with even if the shoe had been on my foot.

I do think zbiggy is entitled to express his opinion even if it means
calling me a "jabber". In my 56 years such an accusation hardly
registers on my radar.

Dennis Veatch