mesa-lib

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Jun 20 02:11:14 CEST 2012

> I tried again myself, and was unable to build without gallium as well.
>
> somewhere you put 'swrast' into gallium drivers, which pulls in llvm.
>
> that won't work obviously, so, the logic in mesa-lib is broken.

AFAIK only radeons needs llvm. Fallback have to be just in case.

> This whole thing is a mess, I strongly suggest that we take out all the
> bits that try "to be smart".

This is not LFS. Developers are jabbering not coding. We need fresh people
who move this distro from 2010 to present times. But we need to fix it and
improve it to attract people. Make it less buggy and more user friendly,
better automated with hardware detection. An user want's to use, admin
wants to administer not hacking with hardware. This task is for kernel
develpers.
Nobody will open firefox in text mode to find drivers for his/her
hardware. This is distro job to match drivers and hardware.

> Just present the user a list for --with-dri-drivers, a list for
> --with-gallium-drivers" and if it fails to compile, who cares? people
> can figure that out themselves.

No they can't. And this is one of main problems with Lunar being forgotten
distro. Few moths ago there was only 2 developers commiting to moonbase.
Very bad for distro and too bad for rolling distro like Lunar.

> Inserting items into driver lists behind users' backs is the real
> problem.

If script is good - no. But hardware is different and we need larger
tester base. This is our weakness. Not code or developer.

We must improve user friendlyness to attract people. Good hardware support
is the first thing which attract people.

So far I have improved:
* Xorg: no xorg.conf needed to boot X with Nvidia or synaptics and other
* mesa build the optimum config for what you have
* new kernel-reqs are being rebuild when new kernel is booting and Lunar
detects it has not yet kernel-reqs installed. Now this is crap in Lunar
because after lining new kernel kernel-reqs are buiold for current kernel
not the new one.
* automatic driver install when new hardware detected on boot (work in
progress).