Was; Re: mesa-lib, now mums the word

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Jun 20 01:31:36 CEST 2012

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:33:35PM -0400, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > Ok, so Auke starts a thread asking why the commit-er made a change.
> > The
> > person responsible for the commit does not respond. So I should use MY
> > time to divine why the change was made? Here's a better answer; the
> > dev
> > the question is directed to should use *his* time to explain and *not*
> > require others to go off on fishing trips.
>
> I'm personally done with the non-replies as well.

I responded when it was worth to respond. Dennis Veatch on Sun 16:03:43
wrote on ML in this topic:
"Who broke this; (...) " You have selected all GPU drivers or Radeon,
but llvm module is NOT installed."(...)
"I don't WANT none of that crap so I said yes to which specific drivers I
wanted leaving them all unselected. So your gonna force me to install
them?"(...)

My response, same day, 22:10:02:
"Tell me your selections so I'll try to reproduce the issue.
If mesa-lib is asking you to install llvm you might selected something
which needs it for build."

My response after reading all this chat is still tonight 2012-06-20
00:41:00 the same:
WTF have you selected? There is more questions asked than those two
answers you described.

How do you expect me to fix the issue? I build mesa on Atom netbook,
VMware notebook and Geforce 8200. No single error. And I do not have llvm
installed on netbook and Geforce 8200. Someone (v4hn?) also tested on
radeon which needs llvm. I remeber IRC chat with him. Module was hanging
for a long time also on dev ML for testing. I do not remeber if I have
llvm on laptop because I do not have it now. I'm not all seeing eye, good
wizard or your mum so can not jump into your mind or behind your back to
see what you do. Send me also compile log.

OK. Let see if I'm good wizard or Dennis mum. Do lunar update, select what
you selected before and see if mesa-lib still asks for llvm.

> Aside from that, I've reworked the mesa-lib problem in my
> packages-xorg.git tree. The DEPENDS/CONFIGURE/BUILD in there does not
> assume much, and it will allow you to pretty much choose any
> combination of gallium, egl, xa, gv and whatever you want. It may break
> if you do not have llvm installed and chose an option that requires
> llvm, but you're supposed to `lin llvm` yourself or change the options
> instead.
>
> No more magic here, really.

People love compile errors. I have no doubt someone will share it with you
as Valentine.

> I just did a few compile tests with/without gallium, egl on/off, etc.
> and it's behaving as I expect it to be.

When I commited mesa-lib I also had such good mood. You'll be surprised
what users can do. For example Dennis who when asked to select gpu driver
nothing selected. :)